I think Biology should include some anatomy and physiology. I taught a Human Biology elective for high school which is more fun than an A&P class. Which topics are included? I had lessons on multiples, such as fraternal twins from biracial parents. Did you know there was a case of triplets where one was ectopic and successfully delivered? Separated twins, such as the Jim Twins pose interesting questions about nature versus nurture. The Biology Project suggests Forensics and Genetics. And blood testing. There are blood testing for paternity kits, which we dubbed 'Who's Your Daddy?' I teach high school! Home Training Tools has less expensive blood testing kits and forensic kits. See? This is too much fun to omit!
Speaking of Forensics, two excellent labs are the Ink Chromatography lab and White Powder Lab. (This unknown white powder lab is a bit simpler if you haven't tried this before.) I'm in the middle of planning an anatomy and forensics science camp for next year. One idea is to make blood splatter t-shirts with red dye. I think the high school kids would love it!
No comments:
Post a Comment