Friday, July 10, 2015

Apologia: Biology Human Anatomy Resource Ideas

Scour yard sales, thrift stores, and eBay for resources.  Shop Good Will often has Labpaq and Escience kits.  Register and check the shipping!  EBay usually has both Labpaqs and Escience kits, as well as Bob Jones and Apologia kits.  Once in awhile I catch a good deal.  I found this giant anatomy book on Shop Good Wull after losing a series of bids for anatomy models and charts.  The book is so huge, I can either cut images for posters or just open the book, if my class is small.  I love  technology.  But, I bought an overhead projector specifically for the graphing calculator.  There are loads of overhead transparencies available.  Check with your teacher friends at high schools.  Most classrooms have resources, such as transparencies archived in closets.

What is nice to have?  A skeleton, organ models, and anatomy charts, the more detailed the better!  I like to have a few stethoscopes and blood pressure cuffs, too.  See if a nurse friend will coach your class in a basic physical assessment and teach the kids how to test blood pressures.  Try to locate different types and compare for accuracy.  Once in awhile, I come across those colorblind test books, another fun lab idea. Oh!  The anatomy coloring books are useful, especially those which require specific colors; it requires some processing.  These are often available used and in expensively on Amazon. What about free posters?  It's a mixed bag. One vintage anatomy poster  would have been perfect, except it is in French.  Get out there and hunt!

Quick update!  Goodwill often has copies of the anatomy book identified above.  Here is my copy.  See?  It's enormous!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Prep Labs for the Win!

This is me trying to be encouraging. I’m on the hunt for a huge variety of low-prep, low-cost labs and experiments.  Why?  Many of you are w...