Friday, July 17, 2015

Apologia Biology: Module #2

I'm sorting my first lessons for the fall Co-op class now before two weeks of VBS and Wild Science Camp.  Dr. Wile has two Pond Life experiments in Module 2 and another in Module 3.  I love the way he integrates some classification into these modules.  Have you done a stream assay?  Since we're collecting pond samples, you may want to conduct a virtual stream assay online and go outside and assess macroinvertebrates.  Call the local Conservation District to see if there's an education specialist who can go out with your Co-op on a stream field-trip.  The Conservation District can put you in contact with volunteers in your area, such as Trouts Unlimited.  I invited Alana, a scientist with the WV Department of Environmental Protection, to lead a stream assay at Wild Science Camp. (I confess I always invite experts to teach macroinvertebrates, plant identification, and tree ID.)  take loads of pictures and ask your kids to blog about the experience!  One note.  The insect larvae are easier to identify in the fall when they're bigger than early spring.  The bonus of a stream assay is that it's fun for children of all ages.  Teens can take chemical water tests, measure the stream flow, assess the stream bank, too.  The EPA's Stream Habitat Walk will get you started.  Want to do more?  GLOBE has an international project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Prep Labs for the Win!

This is me trying to be encouraging. I’m on the hunt for a huge variety of low-prep, low-cost labs and experiments.  Why?  Many of you are w...