Thursday, August 13, 2015

Anatomy Academy Camp Update

Next summer's science camp theme is Anatomy Academy and Forensics.  Here are three 'go to' anatomy references.  Now, the Camp involves health professionals, EMTs, an ambulance, etc.  The activities take place in rotating stations to mange the number of camper--possibly as many as 60 kids.     The kids range in age from 3-10.  Fortunately, I've hosted this camp before and know many of the kids.  We're keeping it 'hands-on'!  There will be three anatomy days during camp week.  Usually, 8-12 supplemental activities are enough to keep the kids engaged all morning.

First up for Monday!  Adorable Wearables has a 'chest vest' that kids tape organs on.  I'm going to print the copies of organs on to card stock for the kids to either cut and glue on to aprons or to trace on to t-shirts to color with sharpies.  Let's stick with wearables and make brain hats.  Print these on to card stock in color and mark them 'left' and 'right'.  Adorable Wearables has patterns for 'hear muffs' and 'vision goggles'.  I 'm saving egg cartons for the kids to make models of the spine, complete with vertebral disks.  Save those plastic bottles to make the model of the lung.

The Boy Scouts are going to teach first aid, another station.  I thought mini first aid kits would be fun to make and might be good for Start-up.  Since, we're doing some first aid, let's do something messy and make gel ice packs!


I sew up cloth bags for camp to carry the loot home.  This bag is my inspiration for anatomy bags.  I'll print copies of different organs to trace and color with sharpies.  Print this skeleton to assemble with paper fasteners.  Round out the morning with Human Body Bingo.  Pennies can serve as markers and these stickers as prizes. Fun, right?  With all these activities, your morning is planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Prep Labs for the Win!

This is me trying to be encouraging. I’m on the hunt for a huge variety of low-prep, low-cost labs and experiments.  Why?  Many of you are w...