Lesson Two has a good deal about the skeletal system. My plan is to divide the two hour class into 15-20 minute sessions. We're going to need a number of hands-on activities in addition to the 'Try-Its'. Sure, the kids are going to label skeletons and tape them to their personal persons. Let's label our own bones! (Scroll down the page a bit.). I plan to use post-it notes. I think we should build models, starting with long bones and a detailed cross section model. The second model has a vein, artery, marrows, spongy bone, compact bone, and periosteum. Good thing For the church yard sale. I'm going to hunt for supplies. The kids are going to make spinal cord models and joint models-enough material for two classes or six hours. I think if we read the material, make and label models, identify and count our bones, we should make some progress learning this material.
I've had a chance to scope the Junior and regular anatomy notebooks which accompany the course. Since the class is composed of kids from a wide age range, I plan to try some Montessori three part cards and booklets for skeletons with the younger students. The booklet had students coloring the relevant skeletal part--perfect for assessment. We are going to have to try several activities to see what works--starting with this Montessori album for the skeletal system and this Mr. Bones puzzle for younger children. Here is Mr. Bones for older students, ideally printed on card-stock and attached with brass brads or fasteners.
Blood. This hands-on blood activity is intended for toddlers. It has merit for elementary students, too. In addition to white cells, red cells, and platelets, kids can use the water as plasma and add felt fat globules.
Keep in mind, this is a work in progress. We start Sept. 16th-postponed owing to one family's schedule conflicts. I'll keep you updated on our progress.
No comments:
Post a Comment