Monday, August 3, 2015

Apologia Biology: Introduction to Inquiry

If you've read some of my posts, you'll know that I'm a proponent of inquiry-based instruction.  My kids are going to start in the fall with some open-ended experiments.  Glencoe's Inquiry Labs (Experiment 10) experiments with the ideal conditions for raising tadpoles.  Hmm.  I had been considering doing Bottle Biology.  So, can two liter bottles be adapted for tadpole aquariums?  Yes! So, our first long-term lab is raising tadpoles.  What is the optimal temperature?  Type of food?  pH?  There's a creek behind the church to release them later.

Bottle Biology is my original idea for a long-term ecology study.  I had emailed the students late last spring to see if they liked the idea--and they did!  We may do both!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Prep Labs for the Win!

This is me trying to be encouraging. I’m on the hunt for a huge variety of low-prep, low-cost labs and experiments.  Why?  Many of you are w...