Thursday, August 27, 2015

Apologia Young Explorers Anatomy

In two weeks, the Co-op is starting an Anatomy class for elementary students.  One of the first experiments is making Apple Mummies.  Cool.  Years ago I helped the librarian at school sponsor an Egyptian camp and we mummified oranges.  The Anatomy textbook specifies apples; but, a tomato mummy is much cheaper if you grow your own tomatoes.  During the Egyptian camp, we made natron with a mixture of sodium carbonate or soda ash, baking soda, and salt.  The Anatomy text calls for Epsom salts.  My plan is to add sodium carbonate to the list of salts and mixture for the "Try-it!" on page 21.  If we have enough supplies, I'll let the kids change the proportions as part of the experiment, too.  If your kids get obsessed with mummies, they might enjoy some of the activities in the Secrets of the Pharaohs Curriculum and have their own Egyptian camp at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Prep Labs for the Win!

This is me trying to be encouraging. I’m on the hunt for a huge variety of low-prep, low-cost labs and experiments.  Why?  Many of you are w...