Thursday, August 27, 2015

Buy Pasco Sensors to Add Technology

If you are looking to add some technology to your curriculum, invest in a thermometer and pH probe. You'll be able to perform a wide variety of experiments with just these two sensors.  Ebay sells Pasco Scientific Pasport sensors and interfaces often.  The Airlink2 connects to an iPad by Bluetooth to act as an interface with the different sensors.  Most of Pasco Scientific's sensors will also connect to Xplorer GLX or the Data Logger, or the Spark Learning System.

I was intimidated by the sensors for years.  The science department at the high school had scads of equipment I was too afraid to use--even after several training sessions!  I could set things up but couldn't trouble shoot when the inevitable problems erupted.  Then I borrowed a set of the Spark Learning System and played with it.  I got to the point where I could set up and open specific labs for the kids.  This is why I like Pasco.  If you have an iPad, you can download the Sparkvue app and free SparkLabs.  Once you use the Airlink2 to connect to your iPad with the probes or sensors, you're ready to begin!  The SparkLabs walk the student step by step through the experiment to collect data.  Now, this approach is NOT inquiry-based.  I find it the best means to become familiar with the Pasco technology.  Ha! You're using digital sensors!  Before long, you'll be a pro at collecting data!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Prep Labs for the Win!

This is me trying to be encouraging. I’m on the hunt for a huge variety of low-prep, low-cost labs and experiments.  Why?  Many of you are w...