Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Can you buy a graphing calculator for under $30?

Yes, you can buy a TI 84 graphing calculator for less than $30–used!  I use graphing calculators in Chemistry.  Our teens in Co-op use graphing calculators for math.  I have a caddy with used TI 83 and TI 84 calculators.  Some are for class; others I lend for the year.  My target price for a TI 83 calculator is $15 and $25 for a TI 84–total with shipping!  First, only bid on models which have been tested!  Do not bid on models with shadows on the screen; these devices are close to dying.  Always check the shipping before you bid!  I’ve had the best luck buying from Good Will online; however, I’ve bought calculators from eBay and Amazon.  The only used TI 84 I bought from Amazon was a dud. It was gritty from spilt coffee.  It does continue to work, though.  We’ve used the calculators for years.  A few of the older TI 83 devices have broken.  I save covers from broken models as replacements.  Since I didn’t pay more than $15 for a TI 83, I’m not upset when one breaks.  (BTW I lend the TI 83s to take home—not the TI 84s.) i did a bit of research on used models.  I stand by Good Will for reliable calculators.

I just bid and bought two TI 84s fro Good Will.  Yes, I was outbid on other lots.  I’m patient.



Amazon has a listing for a TI 83 at $20 with shipping.


eBay has a listing for 12.99.


I have a rechargeable TI 84, like this one from Amazon.   It’s a pain because it doesn’t hold a charge well.  I think that’s why the used price is so heavily discounted.


This is the older TI 84 model. I try to bid on newer styles because they are likely newer models.  


This is a newer model.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...