Chromatography is a basic science skill. Do all forms of paper chromatography. Coffee filters work; filter paper is fairly inexpensive. Start with Marker Chromatography. The dyes in markers or pens are a mixture. Water draws out and separates the different dyes in the mixture of colors. (Try Flinn’s Food Dye Chromatography. I pull out a dozen different brands of black pens and use rubbing alcohol. You might want to test Koolaid.). Now, you are ready for Candy Chromatography using either M&Ms or Skittles. Take photos and save them for Fall. Your teen can write the lab report later for class.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...

No comments:
Post a Comment