I like to knit. ( I posted here about a scarf I knitted in binary code.) Let’s slip in a bit of scientific reasoning or math. Yes, there is math and science in crafting. Here is an article, Mathematical Knitting. Here is the author’s homepage. She has ‘recipes’ with plans for knitting projects. Below are craft ideas to serve as inspiration. The kids can get ahead and make their Christmas presents while you sneak in a bit of math.
1. Dye cotton fabric or yarn. Natural fibers absorb color better than synthetics. Tie-Dyeing has basic instructions. Here is an excellent lesson. I use Dharma Trading Co (for better dyes and mordants. Here are basic instructions from Dharma.). Vanderbilt has an excellent lesson about artisanal dyes.
2. Mathematical Quilting has two examples. Making a Star Quilt emphasizes the underlying math in a star quilt, largely in terms of shapes. Buggy and Buddy Quilt Activity uses construction paper to make quilt patterns with shapes. Kids can map out their pattern before sewing the fabric.
3. Instructables offers Use Crochet to Teach Maths. Here is background on the mathematics of crochet. Here is Crochet Topology. (Topology involves math modeling, which is the extent of my understanding of topology.)
4. Aside from DNA Models, you can make a folded model., DNA Necklace, or DNA Bracelet.
5. Use beads to make Morse Code Bracelets, Binary Bracelets, or Perler Bead Flasks.
No comments:
Post a Comment