Saturday, June 29, 2024

Science Camp 2024: The Joy of Toys!

 This year’s Science Camp is only three days; I had to sandwich Science Camp between VBS and a second, two week Faith Camp for kids behind in their sacraments.  I decide I was only human and cut Camp to three days.  Monday is Day 1.  Here are the five day plans.  I pulled a dozen activities for tomorrow, starting with Edible Chemistry: Soda Pop, When Algy Meets Calcium,  Sherbet, and Red Cabbage Indicator.  The kids need to follow the directions for three or four experiments; afterwards they may make potions.  The sherbet is a topping or can be added to water to make a soft drink.

Next is Slime in all of its forms: Borax Slime, Liquid Starch Slime, Fluffy Slime, Floam, and Fluffy Slime (with hair conditioner).  My plan is to make Sidewalk Chalk, UV Bead bracelets, and Film Canister Rockets.  I have white glue, clear glue, glitter glue available for experimentation.  The kids may add a little liquid starch, cornstarch, styrofoam beads to their slime as they experiment.  I use tempera paint instead of food dyes for slime and chalk—much cheaper!  I think I’m ready for Monday.  I do have Cartesian divers, tornado tubes, and rocket balls ready if the kids run through their experiments quickly.








No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...