Are you looking for a summer project. In another life, I taught AP classes. One project we did was to create closed ecosystems to monitor. Carolina Biological sells ecosystems, basically different aquatic environments in aquariums. Let me share different DIY ecosystems to consider. I’m thinking about adding bottle ecosystems to my Biology curriculum next Fall.
1. Bottle Biosphere is one type of ecosystem I’ve done with kids. This website has clear instructions. Save 2-L bottles. Here is the Bottle Biology website with three types of Bottle Columns. The TerrAqua Column is a super simple model, similar to the ecosystem described here at Welcome to Nana’s website Investigating Ecosystems Through Eco-Bottles has a good description to establish the components of a bottle ecosystem.
2. Test the water quality. You could limit your tests to water temperature and pH. The pH test strips cost about $2 for a pack. Aquarium test strips are useful to gauge water quality. Be sure the strips test for nitrogen or ammonia levels.
3. Try Ecosystem in a Jar or Ecosystem Lab both have clear instructions. Please note that goldfish, snails, and Elodea are standard components. I’m using plastic bottles because they’ll live in our classroom basement. The Bottled Ecosystem has more detailed lesson tips with a worksheet and key.
4. How to Create a Self-Sustaining Aquarium is a good place to start if you want a more complex ecosystem. This Checklist has good suggestions for plants and animals to introduce to your ecosystem.
5. API Fishcare has this Guide with a quiz, tips, and lessons. The Biology Ecosystems Dynamics slide deck includes a number of biotic and abiotic factors to consider in any ecosystem. Next year, I have at least one naturalist in my Biology class. I plan to use this Pond Ecosystem Food Web activity with the bottle ecosystems.
No comments:
Post a Comment