Most of the time, the focus is on micro-scale in Chemistry. Tiny amounts of chemicals is much cheaper and safer to handle and to dispose. Since experiments involve drops instead of milliliters, it’s cheaper to repeat trials—making better science! I’m a huge fan of micro-scale because I taught large classes Chemistry—sometimes 40 teens in a class. (BTW, I diluted all of the chemicals to make labs even safer.).
What about Biology? Yes! Microscale Fermentation, Titration, and Microscale Catalase Lab are both from SSERC and sophisticated. (You can put hot water in a beaker to make a hot water bath. Check the temperature periodically. The 13x100 test tubes should work with a 3 mL pipette.) SSERC TV has YouTube videos.
Water Beads Osmosis is more small-scale than micro-scale; it does replace Dialysis Tubing Osmosis. (We use baggies instead of dialysis tubing.) See if the beads absorb iodine. They should!
Another small-scale lab is spinach leaf photosynthesis.
UNESCO Biology MicroScience is a teacher’s guide with notes, questions, answers, and micro-scale labs embedded in the pamphlet—perfect for home-school instructors!



No comments:
Post a Comment