Friday, May 8, 2026

Virtual Dissections

 Many teachers wrap up Biology and Advanced Biology with dissections.  When I teach Biology, sometimes I save all of the dissections for the final two weeks, to allow students to compare increasingly complex organisms all at once.  While we do dissections IRL, your budget, squeamish teen, or ethical concerns might make virtual dissections a better option.  I get it.  I did another round-up.

1. Biology Corner has several Virtual Dissections and Dissection Guides.  Many virtual dissection posts circle back to Biology Corner.  

2.  The Science Bank has a plethora of dissections, many free.  Start with Dissections 101; substantial lesson plans align with each dissection video.

3. 3D Virtual Frog—if you only do one direction, make it the frog.  Make a 3D Printer Frog Dissection Kit.  Do a paper frog dissection. Watch a video or two and complete a guide.  

4.  Fetal Pig: Ward’s (cartoon graphic), Whitman College (images of fetal pig specimen),      HST’s Fetal Pig Dissection Guide



5.  Getting Nerdy has changed to Inside Out Science.  This is the new home to those expensive paper and vinyl dissection models. However, you might be making an investment for Co-op.  They are high quality.  

6. Paper Dissections (free): Clam, Frog, and Salmon.  

7. Paper anatomy: Human Body Organs, Human Body,  , Adventure in a Box (kiddos), Human Body Cut-out, and Human Body Systems. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...