Did you see the WSJ article, How YouTube Took Over the American Classroom? The article focuses on YouTube as a vehicle kiddos use to access all manner of tech. But, many of us are concerned with tech, not just YouTube. In the local district, most of the instruction occurs on Chromebooks. Students don’t use textbooks. Are the teachers getting ebooks as textbooks? Do teacher piece together their courses with the Standards of Learning rather than a textbook? Are the teachers relying on individual curricula, such as It’s Not Rocket Science or Amoeba Sisters? I suspect too many districts have abandoned textbooks. I want a textbook students can read. Yes, many kiddos are scanning the textbook in search of answers to study guide questions. Fine. They are still using their books.
I love to add a bit of tech. My classes start with slide decks and discussions. I rigged an old laptop and iPad with an old TV to use in the basement.
But, tech is a tool. Do I use videos? Sure, in Anatomy. I made instructional videos for Chemistry, in case a kiddo is absent or gets stuck. In reality, the student usually just stays after class for help. We have lessons on using the graphing calculator or spreadsheets, especially with labs or math class. (I show kiddos the SciTools app on the TI83/84 after I teach conversions.) I have an entire set of older PASCO SPARKvue.
What’s the difference in my approach to tech? Apart from the slide decks, most of the tech I use or introduce is interactive. They are tools for labs or activities. Let the tech you use support the curriculum, not supplant the curriculum. Sometimes teachers manage classes without any direct instruction. Student watch a video, complete guided notes, and take a quiz. I check in with young friends who attend the local, public schools. They aren’t doing many hands-on labs or activities—even in their science classes. If you are going it alone and trying to teach your teen physics, (or any subject outside your area) by all means, use every resources available. But, have your child read and use the textbook. Do hands-on labs. Don’t let a video substitute for a lab. Sure, kids could watch a demo in Chemistry, especially if the chemicals are expensive. They will be better off doing their own lab using baking soda and citric acid. Use tech judiciously, as an aid.


No comments:
Post a Comment