Wednesday, May 27, 2026

Microscopes! Amscope is having a sale!

 Yes, I have visited this topic many, many times, as recently as this March post.   Microscopes give families so much angst!  I think many home-school families worry that they are shortchanging their kiddos in science.  Even if your teen is planning to pursue medicine, the version below is adequate.  The teens are observing and sketching microscope slides!  This isn’t Histology!

Personally, I think you should buy a digital microscope, which attaches to a laptop or Chromebook and call it a day.  Some of the cheaper digital microscopes do not work with every laptop. BTW, Amscope microscopes are a safe bet.  Period—for any type of microscope!  My teens resolve the slide’s image, snap a screenshot, and then sketch.  Isn’t that the point?


Be sure to buy an illuminated microscope.  Be sure it has a light!  I have several, beginner, battery-powered microscopes.  There is an electrical outlet shortage in our basement.  The battery-powered microscopes do anywhere!



Avoid the microscopes with mirrors or prisms.  Yes, they work well in bright light or near a window.  I feel that kiddos spend more time capturing light than observing the microscope slide.


Buy the Amscope slide set, too.  It’s a fabulous price for 50 slides!




No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...