Friday, May 29, 2026

Go Micro-scale in Chemistry!

Last December, I wrote a post about Microscale Labs, especially those using Radmaste kits. Before I forget, here is the UNESCO chemistry MicroScience pamphlet.  It’s a detailed guide to experiments using Radmaste kits.

The Microelectricity Experiences have a diagram with the kit and its equipment.  The Radmaste YouTube Video channel has loads of videos which explain how to use the kit’s components with the experiments.  (Any beads would work with the Molecular Modeling activities.)

Here’s the rub; the Radmaste kits are hard to find.  The equipment, such as a micro burner or micro thermometer can be expensive.  



I looked for similar kits.  In the image below, note the modified clothespin.  It’s used as a mini test tube holder.  Any spring clothes pin will work.  


In the second image are pipettes, a syringe, alligator clips, etc—all easy to find equipment.

The Royal Society of Chemistry has a complete article about microscale apparatus and equipment.  RSC Registration is free, but limited to a few articles per month.  Science in School has several article about microscale chem: Quick, Quantitative Chemistry, Little Wonder, Electrolysis, Precipitates, etc.  Did you know you can do several micro-scale experiments with toilet paper?  Another good source is the SSERC Secondary Chemistry YouTube videos.  There are micro-scale demos.  

Use the articles, kits, images, and lessons for inspiration.  Look at the contents of the QSL MicroChem kit,  the HST MicroChemistry Kit, and Apologia’s MicroCHEM kit (a close kin to the QSL kit).  The Flinn Scientific YouTube Video collection has an excellent overview video. Flinn is selling product. Try the Royal Society of Chemistry YouTube Videos, in which the science teacher demonstrates a reaction on a  transparency sheet (acetate sheet).




Why are the labs so hard to find?  Microscale Chemistry was introduced in the late 1990s; many Chemistry instructors don’t need the lessons because they are already familiar with the idea of using a pipette for Boyle’s Law lab.  I’m a little obsessed with micro-scale equipment.


I use many, many small-scale or micro-scale labs because they are cheaper and safer.  Kiddos can repeat experiments.  Next fall, I’ll post resources for Chemistry often.

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...