I’m a little obsessed with American Girl dolls. I love the Historical Characters, especially the original Pleasant Company dolls. My friend, Jen, is using the American Girl books, the Welcome to the World series, dolls, historic clothes, crafts, and recipes, games, to teach history to her daughter, Sophie. (I’ve been sewing for several, young friends)
But I specialize in science. First, science was not taught as a subject in elementary schools until the 1950s. The answer is agriculture! Crops were a common feature across history. Children tended gardens and fields.
The Nez Perce did not grow the Three Sisters; instead, here is a list of plants they used, wild plants.
Both Colonial Children and Pioneer Children would have cared for chickens, churned butter, and raised crops. There were many methods to protect plants, such as bell jars. Read about Trellising. Plant heirloom seeds. BTW many of the pioneer crops are similar to colonial crops. Dreaming of Seeds has examples of pioneer seeds.
What an opportunity for your kiddos! Let them do the research into historic gardens. There are many, small historic garden museums: Jamestown, Mt.Vernon, Colonial Williamsburg, Monticello, and Ferry Farm. Look at the list of Living History Farms associated with Little House and Laura Ingalls Wilder. Look for living history museums in your area, such as the Frontier Culture Museum, Land is Valley Village and Farm, and Swedish Pioneer Museums.

No comments:
Post a Comment