Monday, June 8, 2026

DIY Rocks and Minerals Kit

 Kiddos like to identify rocks and minerals.  (See What is the difference between a rock and Mineral?) Make your own identification kit.  Start by looking at a commercial kit. Look at HST’s All About Rocks and Minerals and their Lesson Plan for ideas about how to structure your lesson.  Be sure to borrow a rock and mineral guide book from the library. 

I strongly recommend buying a set with the rocks and minerals identified.  My classes run all manner of mineral tests on known specimens.  Why?  I’m not a geologist.  I have zero background identifying unknown rocks and minerals.  (Okay, I could probably identify quartz and mica.)


There are several identification tests: color, streak, cleavage, etc.  Scroll this page for a mineral identification flow chart.  I like to use density as a test, too.  Here  is how to measure rock density, which requires a graduated cylinder and scale.  Another test  is hardness; Rock Detectives use a penny, steel washer, and unglazed tile.  Here are mineral tests: hardness, color, and streak.  Another test is fluorescence with a UV flashlight.  

Spend money on the rock and mineral sets rather than the tools.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...