Monday, June 15, 2026

Household Science Equipment

I use household materials for science classes all the time!  Right now, we’re using the basement; however, I’ve set up lab in the garage, too.  (We have concurrent classes running this fall.  I might need to run labs in the garage for my lively Chem and Physics class.)  Prime Day usually means loads of stores are having sales.  Let me share a few ideas for materials as you shop sales and plan for fall science classes.

How do we heat in the basement classroom?  (BTW there is exactly one wall outlet.)  Often we use an electric burner.  For example, when we do Can Crush, the easiest approach is to use a flat, electric hot plate.  



The first time I bought a used MEL science kit, I noticed the stove.  It uses pellets or tea candles.  (BTW the pellets are very hot! Stick to tea candles). These folding camp stoves are fairly inexpensive.



Sterno or tea candles can be used to heat materials, too.  The bread stone protects the surface of the table.




I heat water with an electric kettle—especially for hot water baths.  It’s quick!  Mine, the white one, in the photo has seen hard use in lab.  (I buy students a case of ramen noodles and an electric kettle as a graduation gift so they don’t starve to death once they leave home.)





We use craft sticks, toothpicks, and wood, coffee, stir sticks, all the time.  



I use trays, bins, and bowls to organize materials for groups; some of the classes are larger.








No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...