Rob and I are prepping for Maker Camp. He insists we try all of the projects and make samples. I’m more cavalier—which doesn’t always work well. We went to Walmart and Lowe’s for materials, two of my favorite science stores. I looked for more examples of hardware science.
1. We tested Steve Spangler’s Balancing Hex Nut Challenge. I bought ordinary hex nuts; they weren’t magnetic. Boooo! Instead, the lab calls for these. (Ordinary hex nuts work for cartesian divers.)
2. We bought foam pipe wrap to make a Foam Rocket. We have pool noodles to use, too, for comparison.
3. Impossible Balancer uses metal washers. I kept trying to get it to balance on its end. Look at the photo! The craft stick lies flat on the pad of the finger. Use the metal washers for Wacky Washers or Coin in a Cup. You can substitute washers for pennies to make this balancing bird.
4. Balancing Nails is another hardware science activity with a focus on center of mass. Be careful to select long nails. We’re also trying several activities from Center of Mass.
5. Classify Matter helps kiddos understand elements, mixtures, and compounds. Save this for fall.
6. Substitute a paint stick for a ruler and try atmospheric pressure. It’s also called ‘heavy paper’.
7. Finally, invest in a second toilet plunger and do the demo below.

No comments:
Post a Comment