Saturday, November 26, 2022

Biology on a Budget: Step away from the microscopes!

 Amazon has a microscope and camera which connects to a laptop for $335.  It looks exciting!  In fact Amazon has several Cyber Monday deals for microscopes.  Step away!  Instead buy a USB microscope to connect to your laptop or Chromebook.  Buy a set of 25 slides from Amscope.  Have your teen focus the microscope slide with the digital microscope, take a screen-shot, sketch, and label the slide.  Repeat 25 times.  Job done.  All of your children can play with the microscope.  Look at paper currency, your skin, , etc.  Make the USB microscope a Christmas present.  See if you can beat the prices below for the microscope or the slides.  The set of four packs of  slides are fine for younger kids.  I have a set I use to teach kids how to focus the microscope because the objects mounted on the slides are larger.

BTW I don’t have my teens stain their own slides.  I never have any luck with the results.  My classes just study prepared slides.  They can make their own slides in college if they take Histology.


J









No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...