I have learned my lesson. Never try to schedule class on a holy day of obligation. I thought everyone would attend Mass during the evening vigil or evening Mass. Nope. The only kids who made it to class didn’t need the extra instruction. We meet Tuesdays and Thursdays. There are going to be conflicts. The next holy day of obligation is December 8th, the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. I’m planning a lab challenge for the kids to take home and do. The first lab challenge is this Film Canister Rocket Challenge. There are four levels to the challenge. I like level two; the canister must launch at least one meter in under two minutes. Oriental Trading has 12 film canisters for $2.47 with free shipping.
Another challenge is Science and Art with Acids and Bases or Flinn’s Chromatography Challenge. These labs dovetail well with Colorful Lather Printing or Tie Dying. Some of my kids love art. The kids liked the Hand Warmer Challenge lab. My plan is for them to do the lab, create a video demo, or produce an art piece. Additionally, they’ll need to explain the underlying chemistry, ideally in the video or in a written paragraph. I might have the kids construct the grading rubric for the project. BTW the kids usually create tougher rubrics than I write. We’ll make plans tomorrow for December 8th.
No comments:
Post a Comment