Thursday, November 17, 2022

Chemistry on a Budget

Update: If you use Benedict’s solution for the copper II reduction test, heat the powder and Benedict’s solution in a test tube in a boiling water bath.  We tried using boiling water from an electric kettle with mixed results.  When we return from Break, we’ll follow these instructions.  The Benedict’s solution produces results for sugars.  You won’t compromise your lab if you omit this test.  I had some on hand leftover from Biology class, last year.

The kids are starting the White Powder lab.  I’ve been dividing class time.  I squeezed in quick lessons on naming acids and balancing equations.  I start with a quick review lesson and then launch the lab.  Our Co-op classes meet twice a week for 90 minutes.  This lab usually takes a minimum of two hours to complete.  I use ten different powders; fewer powders would streamline the lab.  When I taught Chemistry remotely, the kids tested five powders and had one unknown.  Take a look!






No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...