Saturday, November 26, 2022

Apologia Chemistry: Phase Change Diagrams

Is it essential to teach about Phase Diagrams?  Probably not.  I do.  This slideshow has a video and video worksheet.  This CK Chemistry unit has videos and a simulation.  I use this worksheet (key) to help kids navigate a phase diagram.  Phase diagrams map the equilibrium states for a substance.  Stick to the phase diagrams for water and carbon dioxide.

I use this as an opportunity to explain equilibrium.  We live outside DC near Quantico.  I 95 is in our back yards.  I use I 95 to explain equilibria.  Monday to Friday, barring a holiday, I 95 North is bumper to bumper at 6 am; I 95 South is a small stream at 6 am.  At 6 pm, I 95  North is a small stream and I 95 South is bumper to bumper.  At noon, Monday to Friday, the traffic north and south on I 95 is roughly the same.  Traffic is in a steady state.  When I teach the module on equilibrium at the end of the course, I use the same analogy to show how to calculate the equilibrium constant.



No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...