Let me add some details to the conductivity lab. I had to remember where I first saw this lab idea. The original lab is from Prentice Hall Chemistry Chapter 7, Section 7.2, Solutions Containing Ions. Here is the student lab. (The lab has instructions to make a simple conductivity meter. NB bubbles around the wires indicate the solution is conductive.). We’re testing bath tints, Alka-Seltzer, sucrose solution, ammonia, alcohol, peroxide, citric acid, salt, and vinegar—all solutions. The kids copy the chart pictured below. The teens use the conductivity pens and pH paper to measure both conductivity and pH of solutions. I added pH for two reasons. One, the Bath tints mini-lab calls for pH. The second reason is make sure all of the kids are familiar with test strips and pH. Every year, one or two kids haven’t tested pH and do not know what it measures. The kids submit the data table and explain how ionic and covalent solutions differ. This is probably more than enough information. The kids should start the labs Thursday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...


No comments:
Post a Comment