Thursday, November 3, 2022

Ionic and Covalent Quizzes

 My kids are doing two, take-home quizzes.  I wrote the cations and anions on tiny blocks using ChemKate’s Ionic Dice activity.  The teens are making ten compounds, writing the formulas, and naming the ionic compounds.  One of my students, Artie, helped with the video below.  The first photo has the ions I used—all common ions we’ll use all year.  The second quiz is covalent molecules.  I made a h kid a second set of dice for the nonmetals.  The kids roll two nonmetals and then roll two dice.  The last photo has one student’ s two quizzes.  Not all of the covalent molecules are valid compounds.  I want to know if the kids can name molecules.

The students may use Flinn’s Ion Chart and the Ion kits.  The teens may use the table (p.91 in Apologia Chemistry) for the covalent molecules.  Most of my students don’t need any of these aids; however two kids do.  BTW I don’t quiz on polyatomic ions; The kids learn the common polyatomic ions through repetition.  









No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...