Update. I skipped the Nerve experiment. Instead we focused on pulse and muscle strength, especially pulse rate. We discussed controlled variables at length for the pulse rate lab: left wrist, two fingers, and 60 seconds. The kids took the resting pulse rates before jogging and jumping jacks. Each kid performed three trials for resting, jogging, and jumping jacks. The kids jogged a minute, timed the pulse a minute, then repeated. Rob showed all the teens how to set up spreadsheets.
Tomorrow, I planned to do several simulations for the Ecology unit. But, I haven’t introduced experimental design at all. I’ve used all manner of labs for experimental design, including Apple Mummies and Science Fair projects. Yesterday, I ran across Making Connections a required lab for the New York Regents program. This is cheap. I won’t have Eco-columns or boxes of Apple Mummies all over the basement. So I’m switching gears. My kids are going to measure pulse, muscle fatigue and Nerves. Surprise! I’m adding a bit to the Ouse experiment. I’ll have the kids compare their resting pulse rate with their aerobic heart rate. We’ll talk in class about how long to jog in place. We’ll use these three activities to discuss experimental design, how we need standards in order to compare class data. How long should we run in place? How many trials? Should we alternate partners? The kids will need to do the muscle fatigue and nerve experiment in the same manner. Rob can do a quick overview of Google Sheets, too. If time permits we’ll do Random Sampling, which goes along with Experimental Design.



No comments:
Post a Comment