Our Co-op meets twice a week for 90 minutes. All reading, projects, lab reports, and tests take place outside class. I have time carved out after class for extra help. Frequently, I edit reports outside class with kids individually. The 90 minutes of class starts on time and is focused. I pull out all the materials and we don’t waste time on distractions. The 90 minutes are used for direct instruction, class discussion and tons of activities—all designed to promote the lessons. Believe me, I have an entire course to cover before the end of May. We don’t dawdle. At the Co-op in Winchester, I taught three hours, once a week. That time was fast paced, too. I think you need three hours of lessons a week at a minimum for Biology, Physics, and Chemistry, at the high school level. Again, class time has to remain honed on lessons, direct instruction, labs, and hands-on activities. All the tests, grading, editing, corrections, etc, have to take place outside of class time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment