Apologia Physical Science textbooks have a bit of Earth Science; more modules in the older editions than in the newer editions. Kids like to study weather—usually. Below are the resources I use to supplement the experiments in the textbook. Yes, I’ve tackled GLOBE. (In another life, I did a great deal of training and innovative programs.). Mainly, my classes did the protocols which interested them. I tried to maintain and submit data; you need kids who are interested and committed. Below are many of the activities I use for class.
1. Weather Forecasting has a good overview with basic symbols. It has 33 pages of activities. I would stick to the first few pages as an introduction. Here are two weather maps with answer keys to use to practice. Here is a detailed weather map activity if your kiddos like maps.
2. Weather Equipment DIYs and Downloads: Cloud Identification Chart #1, Cloud Identification Chart #2, (has a Cloud Viewer like this one), GLOBE Cloud app, NOAA Cloud Chart, Snow Board (Solid Precipitation Field Guide), Sling Psychrometer, (GLOBE protocol), and Instrument Shelter Plans, in case you want to build your own weather station.
3. Layers of the Atmosphere: Observing Atmospheric Heights (with this NASA Air Activity), Air Collage (Simple), and Layers of the Atmosphere (cut and paste).
4. Make your own weather instruments: Homemade Weather Instruments. This site has all the standards from barometers to anemometers. It includes instructions for a sling psychrometer similar to this one made with two thermometers in a bottle.
5. Make a Cloud in a Jar.
Are your kiddos obsessed with weather? We have close, family friends who love to study the weather. . Try GLOBE. Here is the Weather page at GLOBE. Here is the overview for the Weather unit. Here is the first unit, called a Learning Sequence. The Weather Bundle has GLOBE protocols; these are detailed instructions. Schools and home-schoolers submit data to GLOBE. The protocols, such as Current Temperature, are very strict in order for the data to be compared with other data submitted. Here are the protocol eTraining. Warning! There are several! Start with Clouds and Temperature. Here is the IR Thermometer protocol to measure surface temperature-a student favorite.



No comments:
Post a Comment