Update: Now is the time to plan for a project to begin next fall. Once you see all of these steps and stages, you’ll understand why.
ISEF is the International Science and Engineering Festival. Most schools follow the rules for ISEF. Yes, some Co-ops ban together and host Science Fair competitions, just as many public and private schools do apart from ISEF. I’ve been on all sides of Science Fair competitions, as a judge, sponsor, and parent. I think you should try to participate in a regional competition. The first hurdle is finding and enrolling your teen in a competition. Ideally, your teen will compete locally, first. Usually, students compete at a high school. Call the local district. Sadly, I have tried contacting the local science fair coordinators at three different school districts. They don’t even bother to return a call or a email.
The reason to try to get into a high school competition is to gain experience. Under ordinary circumstances, winners who achieve at least honorable mention at the high school science fair proceed to the county level. Winners at county go to regionals; regional winners go to state, and finally the big show held in Phoenix in 2026. Every state has a different process to select kids who go the ISEF. The issue is getting your kid into a local competition. I have faced that problem repeatedly. It’s easier to enroll in a regional competition, called an Affiliated Fair. You can contact a rep at the Affiliated Fair and enroll. I’ve done that. Here’s the rub. The kids who compete at regionals have already won. In fact the top kids may compete in Symposium, too. Frankly, their projects are all good. This poses significant competition. I can tell you personally it caused me a great deal of anxiety when I brought unvetted home-schoolers to regionals. I didn’t want them to be embarrassed. I didn’t want to be humiliated either. While the kids didn’t win; they acquitted themselves well. Hey, they were up against Governor’s School! Kids in science programs at Governor’s School often have access to college or professional labs and work under scientists.
Okay, first try to get into a local competition. Some schools are more open to home-schoolers than others. If that fails contact an Affiliated. Science Fair is worth pursuing.
No comments:
Post a Comment