Case Studies can enhance science education. I wish I had more time to add them to my classes. We’re doing Six Landmark Case Studies as part of Module 8 in Advance Biology. The ideal case study acts like a hook or reinforces a lesson. Phineas Gage survived a metal rod through his skull. This type of article engages kids. Like everything else, POGILS, models, concept maps, spreadsheets, etc. I like to sprinkle in a few interesting case studies into my lessons. It really depends on your child. These case studies may be the spark that ignites your kid’s interest in science.
Science for Kiddos: Case Study Archives, and Purdue have case studies for younger students.
Medical and Scientific: hhmi Biointeractive has over 300 case studies, such as Human Skin Color. Whenever I browse HhMi I feel as though I’m doing a mini symposium. They are always excellent; but, when would I have the time to really to do it justice? Anatomy lends itself well to clinical case studies. The problem is the sheer numbers. You could go down that rabbit hole for hours.
Biology: NSTA has loads! Look at Battle of the Blood. The article is fairly brief and there are follow-up questions. This lesson dovetails well with the genetics of blood types. NSTA has case studies for Chemistry and Physics, too.
Chemistry: Some of the ACS Chemmatters Issues have articles, which are similar to case studies, such as Authentic or Not (Art Forgery) or Otzi, The Iceman. (BTWI use Otzi as part of a lesson on isotopes.) Chemistry is already pretty loaded with labs and instruction. I do try to add a few Chemmatters articles to the course.
No comments:
Post a Comment