Monday, January 5, 2026

Science Strategies: Hooks

 What is a hook?  It’s an interesting starter to ‘hook’ a kid’s attention.  Often  hooks are discrepant events.  Right now, discrepant events are sold as part of inquiry science.  But, teachers have used ‘hooks’ forever.  It’s just a great way to teach.  They elevate any topic.  For example, I use Density Bottle to introduce density, as a concept.  I ask my kids to explain what is happening.  Now we can tackle the topic—usually with a lab.


For optics or optical illusions, I use The Disappearing Beaker.


For a gas law introduction, I use Can Crush.




Another  great discrepant event is a Cartesian Diver.  My favorite version is   here. Have the kids explain why it sinks. 


 

It helps to have a list of discrepant events to use. Invitations to Inquiry has 486 pages with loads and loads of ideas.

Here are a few great ideas for Chemistry: Discrepant Balloons, Vanishing Volume, and several at Teaching Chemistry as an Experimental Science.


No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...