I’m an advocate for dissections. Anatomy dissections are less controversial, especially if you eat meat; the specimens are obtained through slaughterhouses before they are injected with dyes and preserved in formalin. You may want to get fresh specimens. Do you have a slaughterhouse or know a farmer who butchers his own livestock? In one anatomy class, a parent had a contact. I had never seen so many beef organs! If there is a local butcher, he may be able to obtain organs. Tuesday, we’re dissecting the eyeball in Advanced Biology, Experiment 9.2.
I have notes from the textbook. Vision is complicated. I assigned this Human Eye set of worksheets, which compares the eyeball to a camera. I’m also using a Crash Course Anatomy and Physiology video #18, Vision. Before we do the lab, we’re using all the resources for the Cow’s Eye Dissection from Exploratorium. As we do the dissection, we’ll use both the textbook and the guide which came with the set of specimens. I managed to accumulate four cow’s eyes. The Human Anatomy class is joining us. Fun, right?



No comments:
Post a Comment