I’ve talked about this topic before. How do you plan a lesson? The first time you teach a new program, stick to the textbook. Answer the questions. Do the experiments. Take the tests. As a Co-op teacher, you can stick to this approach and provide a complete course. Once you’ve taught a class two or three times, you begin to have ideas. Most of the time, the lesson changes organically. Let’s take an example. Apologia’s Biology textbook has one Biological key (Module 1, 2nd edition and Module 9, 3rd edition). You may find that practicing with one key isn’t enough. The kids seem fuzzy about the concept. Likely, they need more practice: Dichotomous Key (shells), Leaves, or Pamishans (Key). Now I want to add a little fun with Jelly Bean Classification. Finally, you may want the kiddos to Make Dichotomous keys. You can even use this as an assessment. If they understand how to build a key, surely the kids understand how to use a key. We use buttons. (TPT has a free guide.)
Biological or dichotomous keys are part of Classification systems. What is your approach? Apologia’s Biology (3e) uses a Three Domain, Four Eukaryotic Kingdom System and mentions, five, seven, eight, and Baraminology. Here and here are information with a bit of the history of classification. I like three domains and six kingdoms. None of these systems are hard and fast. Just look at Plankton. Some systems are based on evolution, another controversial subject. Many families in Christian Co-op classes do not believe in evolution. I stick to a six kingdom model, myself. The three domains and, four kingdom model works, too. We just need to sort species, not unleash mayhem! (Evolution, like human reproduction is taught by the family, not I.)
Your lesson is changing. You adapt and start with different classification systems. Pick one you like. Explain why. Do the Biological Key experiment from the textbook in class. Try a few more keys. Tell the kiddos a bit about the history of Classification. Right now, the NABT has a Position Statement about Evolution; many Biology teachers push evolutionary classification models hard on students. (I think they make a strong argument for home-schooling when they don’t allow a child to hold a Biblical belief which contradicts evolution.) What do you think? Why do you think Apologia uses a three domain, four kingdom model? I tell the class my personal belief; I know God created heaven and earth and man in his own image. For me, the rest is just details. Look how personal and robust this lesson is.
Start with small changes. You’re making assessments. Do the teens need more practice? Hunt down more practice. Does the lesson seem a little dry? Add a candy, cracker, or cookie lab to make things more fun. Add a bit of history. Share your beliefs. Gradually, your lessons will change for the better!
No comments:
Post a Comment