One activity my Co-op classes do regularly is to make Concept Maps. Canva has a free concept map maker. My kiddos have used online apps or templates to make concept maps. However, I prefer to make and use index cards. I make up concept map kits when I have a load of vocabulary and related concepts I want to be sure the kids understand. (See the image below from Biology.) I’m making up another concept map kit for Matter, which includes terms, examples, phases of matter, and properties of matter. Here is the list of related terms for Matter, which includes terms such as extensive, extrinsic, intensive, intrinsic, phases, luster, ductility, mass, volume, etc. The list has links for a short video and the slide deck I use with loads of terms.
My list is for Chemistry, next Fall. I’m making a second kit for the Young Explorers Chemistey and Physics class with terms from their textbook. I use concept maps as an assessment tool. How do these terms and concepts relate to each other? Can you separate them into groups or categories? When the kids show me their maps, I ask why they placed terms together. What does conductivity mean? Which properties are extensive or intensive? I have blank index cards available. Sometimes the students want to add terms or create another category.


No comments:
Post a Comment