Friday, February 13, 2026

More about Planning for Co-op

 I’m about to revamp all my Chem materials for next year.  I want to create all-in-one lessons and kits.  But, what about you?  Are you starting from scratch?  Let’s take Chemistry and explain how to plan.  First you could use Apologia’s guide with a Co-op Schedule from Donna Young’s site.  Your Co-op is unique.  Your class needs are unique.  Ask a few questions.  What is the purpose of your Chemistry Co-op class?  Is the purpose to host labs?  Are the teens reading, doing study guide questions, and tests on their own?  If so, then plan all of the experiments.  Look for related labs to try, too, just to add to the fun.  Make your entire focus about explaining the purpose of the lab and helping kiddos write lab reports.

Our Co-op is instructional.  The kids read and test outside of class.  I teach concepts in addition to doing loads of labs.  I’m interested in the entire textbook.  Where do you start?  First, there are 15 modules in Apologia’s Chemistry textbook.  It’s possible to complete all of the modules; I seldom do.  I teach 1-12 well and introduce key ideas from Modules 13-15.  We have class twice a week for 90 minutes per session.  Class begin after Labor Day and run into May, nine months.  However, remember there are holidays.  I try to complete two modules per month.  However, I know from experience nomenclature, balancing, and Stoichiometry and moles require a month or so  to teach well.  There are holidays to factor in, too.  Don’t forget snow days!  

Let’s start to plan the modules.  Modules 3-6 require more time and practice.  In my experience, there aren’t enough problems in the Apologia textbook for kids to master the skills of naming or nomenclature, balancing equations, calculating moles, or doing Stoichiometry.  In September, you can finish Modules 1 and 2. Teach Module 3 with supplements in October, Module 4, in November, and Modules 5 and 6, Stoichiometry with moles,  over December and January.  December is a short month; January usually has snow days; additionally, the kiddos tend to forget material taught before Christmas.  You’ll have to plan extensive review of moles before really tackling Stoich.  By February, you should be back on track to complete two modules in February, March, and April.  Reserve May to mop up.  Ideally, in May, you can gloss over key topics in the last three modules.  However, if you teach 12 of the 15 modules, you will have taught 80% of the textbook.

What about planning each class?  Take apart each module.  For example, Module 1 has mainly math.  My goal is to complete Module 1 in four class sessions.  Many Co-ops meet once per week for three hours.  You might have two sessions.  Plan your class to have  direct instruction, practice, and labs.  I shoot for labs where I can combine topics.  For instance, the density labs have calculations with percent error and significant figures, using metric measures.  There are four experiments in Module 1; plan two per session.   

I’ve taught Chemistry many, many times.  I have my own ideas about the course.  But, over the next few months, I’ll post updates with specific plans.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hands-on Creation!

 Have you heard of  Hands-on Creation?   I saw their ad on Facebook and just had to share!  Their prices to loan materials are fair.  Take a...