Tuesday, February 24, 2026

Young Explorers Chemistry and Physics: Chapters 1 Matter

 Update: I made a concept map activity with the terms or vocabulary in Chapter 1.  Here is the list of terms.  I use Concept Maps to assess understanding.  I create a set of index cards with the terms.  The kids decide where the cards go.  I ask kids to explain why they put terms together.  For example, the property might go along with words such as color or odor.  I make sets of the index cards for the kids to work in pairs.



In addition to Apologia Chemistry, my plan is to teach Apologia’s Young Explorers’ Chemistry and Physics class.  I’m assembling lessons. Here is the Chapter 1 lesson.  I’m using the textbook, Notebooking Journal, and a few other resources.  We’ll do as many Try this! activities and projects as possible. FYI the Notebooking Journal has a syllabus, extra experiments, copy work, vocabulary puzzles, etc.   For example, the textbook has kids measure Volume by Displacement. I’ll take out the scales and have the kiddos measure mass too.  I have digital scales and stackable, balance beams.  (You can use coins as weights, too.)



The ACS has both Middle School Matter resources and elementary resources, Inquiry in Action: Matter.  Our Co-op teaches Chemistry and Physics to upper elementary-age students.  It pays to have both elementary and middle-school level resources available.  It’s hard to determine in advance the class level.  When I work with kids, I like to include as many hands-on activities as possible.  The textbook recommends doing the activities and projects after reading the textbook.  I’ve found the opposite to be true.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hands-on Creation!

 Have you heard of  Hands-on Creation?   I saw their ad on Facebook and just had to share!  Their prices to loan materials are fair.  Take a...