The Biology Corner just posted Root Growth and Cell Division; cell division is part of mitosis. Flinn has Mitosis Slides, too. Biology Corner suggests both onion and garlic root tips. Please note that hydrochloride acid (HCl) is required to break bonds and separate cells. The methylene blue is relatively safe and relatively inexpensive. Co-op Chemistry instructors will likely have some HCl on hand. Look at the microscope slides you have on hand. Any slide with ‘root tip’ should show mitosis or cell division. I’m ambivalent about preparing stained slides. I invest quite a bit of time just showing kids how to focus or open the diaphragm to allow more light. I love the idea, but am uncertain how well things will work in practice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...






No comments:
Post a Comment