One of the best ways to teach limiting reactants is with a cookie recipe. I’m using the Quaker Oats raisin cookie recipe, my husband, Rob’s favorite for his birthday on Sunday. Okay, I made bars and halved the recipe; Rob is the only one in our little household who likes oatmeal raisin cookies. The way to teach limiting reactants is to limit one ingredient, such as one egg. If one standard recipe makes four dozen cookies, how many cookies can you make with one egg? Let your kid explain that all of the ingredients would need to be halved. Ignore comments such as one recipe NEVER provide four dozen cookies. How many cookies can you make if you have four eggs and only one cup of brown sugar—the other ingredients are in excess: a bag of flour, five pounds of white sugar, three ounces of vanilla, etc. These types of measures underlying the limiting reactant and Stoichiometry concepts. Here is the slideshow I’m using to introduce Stoichiometry with cookies.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...


No comments:
Post a Comment