My kids are going to to a hydrate lab, or percent composition. Hydrates are compounds with water loosely bound in the compound. If you gently heat a hydrate, water is removed. Scroll down this web page for the Quick Lab, Percent Composition, a hydrate lab, for the lab I use. There are teacher notes with sample data next to the lab instructions. (Here is a virtual lab.). For the hydrate lab, kids put a few grams of one hydrate in a test tube and gently heat the salt. A tea candle works to heat the hydrate. Remind the child to keep his face away from the steam emitted. Move the test tube back and forth as it is heated. Calcium chloride and copper II sulfate are good hydrates to use for this lab. Weigh the test tube, too. Sometimes it can be hard to remove the salt from the test tube after heating the salt. I made a slideshow with the instructions, sample data, calculations, and a video.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...

No comments:
Post a Comment