Tuesday, March 18, 2025

Family Science : For the Birds!

 Does your family like to bird watch?  Make this another project for your portfolio!  

1. CornellLab is home to all things ‘bird’.  Start with these lessons: Feathered Friends or e-Bird Essentials.



2. Try Merlin Bird ID.  Birding by Ear means listening to bird calls to identify the bird.  You can look through a pair of binoculars, too.  However, the bird call is like a first alert.

3. Keep track of birds your family sees with a checklist or life list. Herehere,  and here are examples.  Tape a list near your bird feeder.  In fact, Common Feeder Birds  can help you identify some birds to start your list.

4. Make a bird feeder: Plastic Bottle FeederCraft Stick Feeder, Paper Roll Feeder, or buy an easy kit. There are many, many feeders.  We have one that resists squirrels.




5. Buy or build bird boxes or bird houses.  The birds do not care about the exterior.  Bird boxes come in different sizes.   Your family might want to start a Bluebird Trail.  Here is an educator’s guide.  I’ve put up loads of bluebird boxes and taken training.   I just don’t have the heart to crush sparrow eggs.  Consequently, I’ve never monitored a bluebird trail.   Kids love, love, love to paint bird boxes!



6.  Are you familiar with Identiflyer?  I bought used sets for eBay. I just checked and there are several listings. You insert a card and hear the bird’s call.  When you play a bird call outside, some birds will respond.  It’s a fun tool.



7.  You don’t need a bird guide; they are nice to have on hand.  Below are a few.  There are loads of bird ID apps: All About Birds,  Guide to North American Birds,  and Cornell’s Great Backyard Bird Count.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hands-on Creation!

 Have you heard of  Hands-on Creation?   I saw their ad on Facebook and just had to share!  Their prices to loan materials are fair.  Take a...