Friday, March 7, 2025

How does a microwave work?

 Like our faulty furnace, the microwave decided to stop popping popcorn.  I am convinced the appliances collude!  Yes, we’ll need to replace Chef Mike.  He is a valued appliance in our household.  Microwave Magic explains how a microwave cooks food.  I have friends concerned about microwave safety.  Make it a research project!  Microwaves use non iodizing radiation as opposed to Iodizing radiation in smoke detectors.  (FYI, Americium is an alpha emitter, which is stopped by the plastic housing of the smoke detector.  Your skin or a piece of paper stops alpha emissions.  Don’t panic and yank your smoke detectors.)  Surprise!  I have a worksheet, Average Dose.  Here is some background about radiation exposure.  When I taught Chemistry and Society at a local college, we examined all manner of interesting topics.  Again, make ordinary events opportunities for important lessons, such as Should we replace the microwave?





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hands-on Creation!

 Have you heard of  Hands-on Creation?   I saw their ad on Facebook and just had to share!  Their prices to loan materials are fair.  Take a...