Friday, March 14, 2025

Let’s cannibalize science kits!

 Let me be honest.  I’ve bid and purchased a number of science kits.  However, I’m interested in the contents, with the exception of Micro Chem Lab kits.  These lab kits have an excellent lab manual and include many of the labs I usually assign.  I bought four or five kits to use in Chemistry.


Below are featured several kits ripe to cannibalize.  I look for equipment.  I’ve collected bins full of beakers and graduated cylinders.  We have a box dedicated to measures: protractors, rulers, measuring tape, and timers, largely gleaned from kits.  My husband, Rob, and I teach a wide variety of math and science classes for our Co-op.  We need meters and mini scales.  Many Chem kits have mini scales, usually measuring 500-600 grams.  These kits often have extra plastic gloves useful for dissections.   Glassware in bubble wrap might be test tubes, thermometers, or stirring rods, all useful.  If I need a set of microscope slides, I might bid on a set which includes the microscope.  If it doesn’t work, I’m not upset.  I really wanted the slides; the microscope was a bonus.  Remember, Rob and I are teaching classes every year.  Our needs are different from a single home-school family.  However, if you have several children, some of these kits are science equipment investments.  Before you bid take in consideration the total cost of the bid and shipping.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Hands-on Creation!

 Have you heard of  Hands-on Creation?   I saw their ad on Facebook and just had to share!  Their prices to loan materials are fair.  Take a...