Sunday, March 9, 2025

Let’s teach about Coal!

 When I teach Earth Science or Physical Science I’ll often include lessons about Energy.  One of my favorite lessons is about Coal.  Here is an entire unit for secondary students.  I find that a bright sixth grader can tackle this level of material.  Be sure to try Cookie Mining, which has a bit about the economics of coal.  Have you heard of a Coal Tree?  It has coal products—like the graphic below.  If you live in driving distance, Buckley WV has an Exhibition Coal Mine; the tour is interesting.  No, you aren’t miles underground for hours.  (If you visit Beckley, stop at Tamarack.)  Heritage Farm Museum has a Coal Mining lesson which would dovetail well with the Beckley Mine.  (One of the local Co-op groups took a field trip to Beckley.)  Much of our electricity comes from coal.  Schools used to teach kids about industry.   Be a maverick!  Teach about coal!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hands-on Creation!

 Have you heard of  Hands-on Creation?   I saw their ad on Facebook and just had to share!  Their prices to loan materials are fair.  Take a...