Wednesday, March 26, 2025

Family Science: Weather: Precipitation

You may recall that I taught at both private and public schools.  Invariably one member of the staff was passionate about weather studies.  For years and years I wrote grants to fund student projects. Along the way, we funded weather stations, too.  If you buy an electronic system, buy a new one.  I have had terrific luck at Good Will and eBay EXCEPT with electronics. Compare reviews and plan on making a new weather station a family Christmas present.

 Let’s look at resources for precipitation.  Yes, I include many references to GLOBE.  If you’re working with want to do a unit study.  Start with the etraining unit before attempting any of the  protocols.  Make your own tools.  The fancy rain gauges specified by GLOBE are expensive.  Put together a lapbook about Weather and include Clouds and Precipitation activities.

1. Here are GLOBE’s Precipitation protocols. Here is the Precipitation: Rainfall eTraining and Precipitation: Snowfall eTraining.  Here are the precipitation protocols.

2. Make a rain gauge or use this example.

3. Make a snowboard to measure snow depth with these protocols.

4. Here is a video from NOAA, How to Measure Rainfall.

5. The National Weather Service has these instructions (and photos) explaining how to measure snowfall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hands-on Creation!

 Have you heard of  Hands-on Creation?   I saw their ad on Facebook and just had to share!  Their prices to loan materials are fair.  Take a...