Friday, March 7, 2025

How does the furnace work?

 Our furnace just went out; the heat exchanger cracked.  Well, it is Lent, after all.  Yes, the entire unit has to be replaced; it doesn’t make sense to spent $5000 on a 15 year old furnace.  How does a furnace work?  Britannica has Heating and Ventilating for students.  Teach Your Kids About HVAC is a practical guide.  Here are the basic terms for a gas forced-air furnace.  Middle has more heat pump facts.  Many home-school families invest time with their kids explaining how appliances work, their costs, and maintenance.  Yes, these are also science lessons!  Do a comparison of the costs and energy savings among furnace, heat pump, and geothermal unit.  I like to look at the initial costs and pay-back in energy savings.  When I taught Physical Science, Energy is a huge unit.  Here is my favorite Energy lesson.  Teens estimate their families’ electricity bills. This version looks good, too.  My classes like to see how closely they can match the monthly bill.  See if your library has an Electricity Usage Meter your family can borrow.  Plan ways to reduce your bill.  I love practical, science lessons.  By all means, add  this family unit to your digital portfolio!  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hands-on Creation!

 Have you heard of  Hands-on Creation?   I saw their ad on Facebook and just had to share!  Their prices to loan materials are fair.  Take a...