Okay, this is a tougher topic to sell because understanding about Nuclear Energy is harder. While this is a secondary subject, your family might want to visit the welcome center at a nuclear power plant. We live near the North Anna Nuclear Power Plant. I’m not sure if their visitor center is open. Here are plants still operating. The visitor centers are fun field trips for Co-op groups. I’ve taken classes. Usually, the Center will schedule a film and talk. The displays at the Center are interesting, such as a model of a nuclear reactor. Call and see. Try What is Nuclear Energy?, Exploring Nuclear Energy, Harnessing Nuclear Energy, Elementary Energy, and the Info Book. One of the best demos is a Mousetrap Chain Reaction. Be careful! Another good lab is Pennium, an isotope lab.
Let’s me share some background: The Harnessed Atom (Teacher’s Edition), USNRC Energy, and Nuclear Energy 101. I used this resource for years. The copy isn’t great; however it’s a middle school program which is written clearly. Nuclear Energy is a tough topic. Tackle it anyway!

No comments:
Post a Comment