Saturday, March 8, 2025

Ink Chromatography

 We started Ink Chromatography.  I set up the filter paper exactly like the graphic in the instructions.



Many paper chromatography labs use chromatography chambers.


Hey! I bought a large set of plastic test tubes with lids from Good Will.  We’re going to use these to create chromatography chambers.


We’re going to use Dyes, pens, and spinach leaves on Tuesday.  I have a large collection of black pens.  When I taught College Chemistry, we had a drawer of black pens dedicated to paper chromatography labs.  Every ink manufacture has its own proprietary ink blend.  I use rubbing alcohol as a solvent rather than more expensive acetone.  You can make your own chamber with a test tube and a little plastic wrap or rubber stopper.  I only wish I had thought about using simple test tubes years earlier!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hands-on Creation!

 Have you heard of  Hands-on Creation?   I saw their ad on Facebook and just had to share!  Their prices to loan materials are fair.  Take a...